Wednesday, August 22, 2007

197? Loftland Snipe

In early spring of 2007, I decided that I wanted to learn how to sail. I had only been sailing once and didn't know anything about boats. I knew that I wanted something that was small, easily set up, inexpensive, and fast. Kansas City isn't necessarily a sailing mecca and the used boat market is not abundant. I happened to find a 197? Loftland Snipe and bought it. The rigging was shot and it was rough. So, after a month of finding blocks, figuring out how the rigging goes together and scrubing, I have gotten it out on the water. Now, all I need to do is learn how to sail!


I will post as many pictures of the snipe, its riging, and anything I learn as to resources for snipes or information related to sailing here. I didn't find many helpful resources as a novice and hope t




2 comments:

JDRSnipe said...

Kevin, is the Snipe in these photos your Lofland Snipe? One photo faintly shows grooving (like planking) in the deck, I think Lofland did this for Snipes built for the PanAm Games in Canada (1967) but there seems some question whether Lofland Snipes or Snipes from a Canadian builder, were used in that event. Lofland Sail-Craft was located in Wichita, KS. The sail number on your mainsail does not match up with the hull number, which would be in the 16XXX or 17XXX series probably.

mike said...

Kevin,
I recently purchased a 1965 Lofland snipe with limited instruction on set up. Would you be able to provide some guidance on step by step set up or maybe provide some short video on the steps needed to rig the boat. I also had the jib sail repaired, do you have some close up pictures of what it should look like and how it is rigged on the boat.
Thank you for your time and assistance.